Tips From HUD
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has 10 tips for avoiding foreclosure:
- Don't ignore the problem.
- Contact your lender as soon as you realize you have a problem.
- Open and respond to all mail from your lender.
- Know your mortgage rights.
- Understand foreclosure prevention options.
- Contact a HUD-approved housing counselor.
- Prioritize your spending.
- Use your assets.
- Avoid foreclosure prevention companies.
- Don't lose your house to foreclosure recovery scams.